Ostomy Lifestyle Question (November 2016) – Skin around Ostomy Care

Question:

My skin around my stoma is blistered (but not the stoma) I have used the stoma powder but that is not helping.  Should I make an appointment with the doctor?

Response:

Healthy skin around your stoma is very important, and should be consistently cared for. If the powder you have been using has not helped, it is time to seek professional assistance. You can make an appointment with your Doctor, or, I highly recommend that you make an appointment with an Enterostomal Therapy Nurse (E.T. Nurse). Enterostomal Therapy nursing specializes in wound, ostomy and continence care. An E.T. Nurse is a registered nurse with advanced specialized knowledge and clinical skills in wound, ostomy and continence care. E.T. Nurses work closely with ostomates and have the experience to assist you with your skin care.

To find an E.T. Nurse in your area see the following instructions below:

Go to Ostomycanada.ca website (this site). You will find the menu at the top bar, click on “Support”, there will then be a drop down menu, click on “Find an E.T. Nurse”, follow the instructions on that page.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.